Stonehenge & Avebury Small Group Tour from London
This small group tour will introduce you to some of the magnificent & mysterious prehistoric monuments that are part of the "Stonehenge, Avebury & Associated Sites" designated UNESCO World Heritage. This covers many famous monuments in the Wiltshire area of Britain made by Neolithic man, whose significance and uses are only partly understood. These sites are often assigned mystical or astronomical importance by pagans and modern druids, and are treated as sacred sites by many.
You will visit the tiny village of Avebury with its stone circles situated just a short distance from its similar - but more famous - relative, Stonehenge. After a guided walking tour, you will have free time to explore the stone circles and village, including the supposedly haunted Red Lion Pub. You will also see West Kennet Long Barrow, a large Neolithic burial tomb over 5000 years old and Silbury Hill, the tallest prehistoric man-made mound in Europe whose purpose is still shrouded in mystery. And, of course, you will visit the famous and well-preserved stone circle of Stonehenge, where entrance is included.
Rates - including tax
Child - Free
(Ages 4 and Under):
Tour / Activity Details
9:00 an on Wednesday, Friday & Sunday (April through December - but no tour scheduled Christmas Day)
Please Note: Tour departure time is approximate; specific pick-up times at five selected locations occur prior to the tour departure time and will need to be pre-arranged by phone or email (details on your E-Ticket).
48 Hours Minimum Advance Booking Required. Tour requires a minimum total of 6 persons booked to guarantee the tour to operate on any specific scheduled date; if the minimum number of persons is not met for the date and time of your reservation, you will be contacted to discuss alternatives. No hotel pickup is available for this tour; there are five meeting locations and you will need to contact the guides at least 48 hours before your tour date to select one of them as your meeting location (details on your E-Ticket). Rates are per person in US Dollars. Please order online or call us in the USA at 212-852-4822 to order or for more information.
There is a $6.95 USD processing fee per order. This is a flat fee regardless of the number of tickets or tours purchased on an order. There is a service charge per ticket. This charge will be reflected on your summary before you checkout. The total shown at checkout includes any fuel surcharges, service charges and tax. There are no additional charges, unless otherwise specified.
Tour / Activity Policies
Cancellation Policy: There are no refunds. All sales are final.
Change Fee Policy: If changes are allowed on a tour or activity, a $20.00 per reservation change fee will be applied for any change to a reservation. Please note that some tours and activities do not allow any changes. Date changes can only be made only if we can confirm availability on the new date. While we cannot guarantee any changes can be made, all change requests must be submitted a minimum of 24 hours prior to the tour departure and must be handled on an individual basis through our Reservations Center.
Tour / Activity Description
COVID-19 Protocols Updates
This tour has received the "We're Good To Go" designation from Visit England and the "Safe Travels" designation from the World Travel & Tourism Council. A small group tour, it is currently operating with social distancing and all participants are asked to wear face masks on the travel vehicle and in all indoor venues you visit. In addition, Stonehenge is no longer providing audio guides, though you can download its "Stonehenge Audio Tour" app on your smartphone & use your own headphones.
This tour requires a minimum total of 6 persons booked for a specific tour date to be guaranteed to operate. If the minimum number of persons is not met for the date of your reservation, you will be contacted to discuss alternatives.
- Small group tour (maximum 19 people)
- Roundtrip travel by coach or minibus
- Guided walking tour at West Kennet Long Barrow
- Guided walking tour at Avebury stone circles
- Free time for exploring Avebury
- Entrance fee to Stonehenge
- Meals & snacks (free time to purchase lunch in Avebury but lunch is not included in the tour price)
- Optional shopping or other personal expenses
- 7:30 am-9:00 am - London Pick-ups at five locations easy to reach by public transport (see list below). When your tour is confirmed, you will need to contact the guides to arrange your boarding location choice from the available options.
- 9:15 am-9:30 am - Depart London and head west to Wiltshire.
- 11:00 am - Arrive at West Kennet Long Barrow - Here the group will walk up the hillside to one of the largest Neolithic burial tombs in Britain, over 5000 years old. Your tour guide will take you into the burial chambers and bring its fascinating history to life. From there you can also see Silbury Hill, the largest prehistoric, man-made mound in Europe that is a similar size to some Egyptian pyramids and whose purpose is still largely unknown.
- 11:45 am - Depart West Kennet Long Barrow - This is the approximate time for this departure but your tour guide will advise you of precise timings on the day since times are subject to change.
- 12:00 pm - Arrive at Avebury - The tour arrives at the medieval village of Avebury, which is ringed by the largest stone circle in the world and also includes 2 other stone circles inside the larger one. You'll have a short walking tour, then enjoy free time to explore the village – guides recommend lunch at the infamous, haunted Red Lion Pub (lunch is not included in the cost of the tour).
- 1:30 pm-2:00 pm - Depart Avebury - The time of departure from Avebury will vary slightly depending on the time of year.
- 2:30 pm-3:00 pm - Arrive at Stonehenge - The Stonehenge entry time varies slightly depending on the time of year. You will have around two hours to explore this mysterious & awe-inspiring monument at your own pace.
- 4:30 pm-5:00 pm - Depart Stonehenge - AMeet back at the tour vehicle for the return journey to London.
- 6:30 pm-7:00 pm - Arrive in London - There will be 2-3 drop-offs in central London near tube stations subject to traffic & other considerations on the day. Your tour guide will advise the specific drop-off locations and will be happy to help with public transport advice if needed. Please note that there can be some traffic traveling back into central London & all itinerary times are approximate & subject to change.
Pick-Up Locations & Times
- London Bridge - 7:30 am
- Kings Cross - 7:55 am
- Victoria - 8:25 am
- South Kensington - 8:50 am
- Earls Court - 9:00 am
What to Bring/Wear
- Wear comfortable walking shoes.
- Monitor the weather in the Wilshire area for the day of your tour and dress appropriately.
- You may bring snacks and bottled water for the trip.
- Bring money for lunch, additional snacks or souvenirs.
- Don't forget your camera!
West Kennet Long Barrow tunnel photo by Guy Wareham - No changes made - Attribution Share-Alike 2.0 Generic License
48 Hours Minimum Advance Booking Required. No hotel pickup is available for this tour; there are five meeting locations and you will need to contact the guides at least 48 hours before your tour date to select one of them as your meeting location (details on your E-Ticket). Rates are per person in US Dollars. Please order online or call us in the USA at 212-852-4822 to order or for more information.