Glastonbury & Cheddar Gorge Tour from London
Venture out of London into Somerset to areas full of history, legend & beautiful landscapes: Glastonbury & Cheddar Gorge.
Glastonbury is most well-known for its annual music festival but is also described by some as the "quirkiest town in England" and attracts a lot of attention for its religious, pagan & mythical significance. You will visit the ruins of Glastonbury Abbey that was one of the many architectural victims of Henry VIII's dissolution of the monasteries in the 1500s, where the Holy Thorn that is said to have descended from the staff of Joseph of Arimathea flowers twice a year - at Easter & Christmas. Glastonbury Abbey also claims to be the burial place of the legendary King Arthur & Queen Guinevere. You will also get the chance to climb up Glastonbury Tor to see spectacular views across the Somerset plains at St. Michael's Tower, another site steeped in mystery that is associated with King Arthur, Celtic mythology and is even thought by some to be where the Holy Grail is buried.
The tour also visits Cheddar, home of the Cheddar cheese & Cheddar Man - the oldest complete human skeleton found in Britain estimated at 9,000 years of age. You will get a chance to explore the town with its cheese shops & cafes, enter the underground caves where prehistoric man resided and walk along the cliff edge overlooking the gorge. Entrance to Glastonbury Abbey is included. The entrance to Cheddar Caves is not included, but you are able to purchase entrance on the day if you would like to, subject to availability & opening times.
Rates - including tax
Child - Free
(Ages 4 and Under):
Tour / Activity Details
2022 Scheduled Tour Dates
Monday, April 18
Monday, May 2
Thursday, June 3
Saturday, June 11
Saturday, July 16
Sunday, July 31
Sunday, August 14
Saturday, August 27
Saturday, September 3
Please Note: Tour departure time is approximate; specific pick-up times at three selected locations occur prior to the tour departure time and will need to be pre-arranged by phone or email (details on your E-Ticket).
48 Hours Minimum Advance Booking Required. Tour requires a minimum of 6 total persons booked for an individual date to guarantee the tour will operate; if the minimum number of persons is not met for the date and time of your reservation, you will be contacted to discuss alternatives. No hotel pickup is available for this tour; there are three meeting locations and you will need to contact the guides at least 48 hours before your tour date to select one of them as your meeting location (details on your E-Ticket). Rates are per person in US Dollars. Please order online or call us in the USA at 212-852-4822 to order or for more information.
There is a $6.95 USD processing fee per order. This is a flat fee regardless of the number of tickets or tours purchased on an order. There is a service charge per ticket. This charge will be reflected on your summary before you checkout. The total shown at checkout includes any fuel surcharges, service charges and tax. There are no additional charges, unless otherwise specified.
Tour / Activity Policies
Cancellation Policy: There are no refunds. All sales are final.
Change Fee Policy: If changes are allowed on a tour or activity, a $20.00 per reservation change fee will be applied for any change to a reservation. Please note that some tours and activities do not allow any changes. Date changes can only be made only if we can confirm availability on the new date. While we cannot guarantee any changes can be made, all change requests must be submitted a minimum of 24 hours prior to the tour departure and must be handled on an individual basis through our Reservations Center.
Tour / Activity Description
COVID-19 Protocols Updates
This tour has received the "We're Good To Go" designation from Visit England and the "Safe Travels" designation from the World Travel & Tourism Council. This tour is running as normal but with social distancing & enhanced hygiene measures in place. Please remember to bring along a face covering for use on the coach & in shops which require that.
This tour requires a minimum total of 6 persons booked for a specific tour date to be guaranteed to operate. If the minimum number of persons is not met for the date of your reservation, you will be contacted to discuss alternatives.
- Round-trip transportation in a deluxe motorcoach or minibus
- Accompanying tour guide
- Entrance to Glastonbury Abbey
- Visit Cheddar
- Entrance to Cheddar Caves, but you are able to purchase entrance on the day of the tour if you would like to, subject to availability & opening times
- Meals, beverages & snacks (free time to purchase lunch but lunch is not included in the tour price)
- Optional shopping or other personal expenses
- 7:15 am-8:15 am - London Pick-ups at three locations easy to reach by public transport (see list below). When your tour is confirmed, you will need to contact the guides to arrange your boarding location choice from the available options.
- 8:15 am-8:30 am - Depart London heading west toward Somerset. Your driver will make a comfort stop en route at a service station due to the length of the journey. Your tour guide will regale you with stories of Glastonbury's past as you head toward the town.
- 11:15 am - Arrive in Glastonbury - The tour guide will walk you to the ruins of Glastonbury Abbey, where entrance is included. After having some free time to explore the ruins yourself, you will have more time to wander around the town independently or walk with your guide up to the top of Glastonbury Tor to see the sweeping views across the plains of Somerset. Lunch may be purchased during your free time here.
- 2:15 pm - Depart Glastonbury - The tour makes its way to Cheddar.
- 2:45 pm - Arrive in Cheddar - Upon arrival, you will see the breathtaking Cheddar Gorge views. Your tour guide will help you to pay for admission to the caves if you would like to take that option, point out the cheese & other shops to visit in the town, as well as show you the start of the Cliff Top Walk if you would like to do a little bit of hiking in beautiful surroundings. If you did not get lunch in Glastonbury, it can also be purchased in Cheddar.
- 5:00 pm - Depart Cheddar - Meet back at the tour vehicle for the trip back to London. Kindly note that all timings are approximate, so please pay close attention to your tour guide who will advise the meeting times and places on the day of your tour. The driver will stop at a service station en route for your comfort.
- 8:30 pm - Arrive in London - This is the approximate time of arrival back in London, subject to traffic & other delays. Due to the length of this tour, the only drop-off point will be at or near the Earls Court tube station.
Pick-Up Locations & Times
- London Bridge - 7:15 am
- Victoria - 7:50 am
- Earls Court - 8:15 am
What to Bring/Wear
- Wear comfortable walking shoes.
- Monitor the weather for Glastonbury and Cheddar for the day of your tour and dress appropriately.
- You may bring snacks and bottled water for the trip.
- Bring money or a major credit card to purchase lunch, additional snacks or souvenirs.
- Don't forget your camera!
48 Hours Minimum Advance Booking Required. No hotel pickup is available for this tour; there are three meeting locations and you will need to contact the guides at least 48 hours before your tour date to select one of them as your meeting location (details on your E-Ticket). Rates are per person in US Dollars. Please order online or call us in the USA at 212-852-4822 to order or for more information.